Australian Consulate-General
New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna

Marrying overseas and Certificates of no impediment to marriage (CNIs)


Outside of consular, passport and notarial services, which are provided by the Australian Consulate-General, we are unable to provide further information than is outlined below.

Please also note the Australian Consulate-General does not manage enquiries relating to visas, immigration-citizenship or entry-exit requirements to Australia, New Caledonia or Wallis-and-Futuna, or Canada and we are unable to escalate applications or issues with the authorities in Australia, New Caledonia or Wallis-and-Futuna, or Canada.


General information on marrying overseas can be found on Please also check with relevant authorities on visas for and entry conditions to France and the French Pacific.

We are unable to provide advice on specific requirements for Australians to be married overseas, nor provide translation or interpretation services. If you require interpretation or translation services, please check the information available under Translation Services.

In New Caledonia, the relevant French town hall can advise of local legal requirements, including documentation and confirm eligibility.  Contact details of town halls are provided on the website of the Government of New Caledonia.

Please note: “Certificates of no record of marriage” or “Single status certificates” or “Statements of no record of marriage” can only be issued by the relevant Births, Deaths and Marriages Registrar in Australia. Further information is available under Civil registry documents (births, deaths and marriages) ( The Australian Consulate-General cannot issue these documents.

French authorities may require foreign documents to be apostilled in the country they are issued – for Apostilles in Australia, please check

Please also check the Consular Notarial and Passports Services - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Certificates of no impediment to marriage (CNIs)

Local authorities may require a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) and a “Certificat de Coutume”.

Certificates of no impediment to marriage can be issued to Australian citizens and permanent residents in Australia (further information on or by the Australian Consulate-General in Noumea.

In New Caledonia, applications forms must be lodged in person (by the applicant) by appointment only at the Australian Consulate-General. CNIs are issued within two working days of lodgement.

Fees apply, payable only by credit or debit card (American Express is not accepted), in Pacific Francs (XPF).  Please contact us for current fees converted to Pacific francs (XPF).

To apply for a Certificate of no impediment to marriage (CNI) at the Australian Consulate-General in New Caledonia, you and your partner need to provide supporting documentation with at least one person applying for the CNI needing to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident:

  • CNI form “Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage form” to be filled out and signed before a consular officer. Don't use an eSignature, an authorised witness needing to watch you physically sign the form.
  • If an Australian citizen, a valid Australian passport.
  • If an Australian permanent resident, a valid foreign passport with evidence of permanent residence in Australia.
  • If a foreign citizen, a valid foreign passport or valid photo identification.
  • If divorced, a Divorce Certificate for the previous marriage.
  • If widowed, the deceased partner's Death Certificate.
  • If under 18 years of age, a copy of the judicial authorisation to marry. This must be issued by an Australian court of law.

Supporting documents can be originals or certified true copies. If the documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by an English translation performed by a registered translator. Other supporting documents may be required to allow us to issue you with a CNI.

For further information, including fees, and appointments:
Consular Office (ph. +687 27 01 20 – email: [email protected])

Certificat de Coutume

French local authorities may also require a CNI to be accompanied by a “Certificat de Coutume”, which is a document that provides a summary of regulations applicable in the applicant’s country of origin (i.e., the laws governing marriages in Australia). 

The Australian Consulate-General in Noumea can provide a letter that satisfies the “Certificat de Coutume” requirement, but only after a CNI has been issued.  CNIs issued by the Australian Consulate-General in Noumea are provided with a “Certificat de Coutume”. If your CNI has been issued in Australia or at another Australian overseas mission, please contact us at [email protected] to request a copy of the letter.