Australian Consulate-General
New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna

Australian citizens - Consular services and travelling abroad

The Australian Consulate-General in Noumea provides a range of consular services to Australian citizens in New Caledonia and in Wallis and Futuna.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) sets out the standard of service in the Consular Services Charter. The Charter signifies DFAT's commitment to providing effective, prompt and courteous consular services, delivered in an equitable way, to all Australians in need as well as clarifying the limits to consular services.


Smartraveller has the latest, authoritative travel advice so you can be informed and prepared about overseas travel. Subscribe to receive travel advice updates - by simply supplying your name and email address – straight to your inbox.

You can now also subscribe to the new SMS service - by supplying your mobile number – to receive critical alerts in the event of a crisis overseas.

In a crisis, Smartraveller will activate a crisis page on its website. It will make it easier for you or someone you know to contact the Australian Government if you need help. It will supplement the consular emergency hotline.

Visit  or connect with Smartraveller on Facebook and Twitter.  Subscribe to Smartraveller for updates, check the latest travel advice and take out travel insurance. Check out also the travel advice for New Caledonia as well as recommendations for travelling by boat or going on a cruise and other Smartraveller recommendations applicable to your circumstances. 

Regarding foreign visa enquiries, please note every country or territory decides who can enter or exit through its borders. Foreign governments often require you to get a visa before they let you enter. Make sure you meet all entry and exit conditions. Check with the nearest embassy, consulate or immigration department of the destination you're entering. If you don't meet the conditions, the Australian Government can't help you. For information on French visas, stays and work permits in the French Pacific, consider contacting the French Embassy in Canberra or the French Consulate-General in Sydney or the French diplomatic or consular representation in your country of residence. If you already are in New Caledonia or in Wallis and Futuna, please contact the French High Commission in New Caledonia or the French Prefecture in Wallis and Futuna as appropriate.



Personal information provided to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988. DFAT’s privacy policy, the Consular Service Charter and the Consular Privacy Collection Statement are available on line. Personal Information may be used by us to provide consular assistance.



 If you need immediate assistance, you can call the Consular Emergency Centre, 24 hours a day, on +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas or 1300 555 135 from within Australia.

 Australian Consulate-General, Noumea: phone +687 27 24 14 (follow the prompts) – consular assistance email: [email protected]. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm (except public holidays).

Please check the Consular Notarial and Passports Services - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).